Monday, September 6, 2010

Road to Glory

August 12th.  It began as a normal, hot, sticky summer day entering the Bell center of Trinity University.  I had begun my journey for another shot at the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference championship title for the Trinity Tigers football team.  Being a sophomore, I had already learned the ropes from last year, so I wasn't just another first year recruit experiencing another home away from home. In other words, it wasn't "my first rodeo", by any means.  The excitement and anxiety flowing through my system was more than enough to get me going for the new year.  It was two weeks before school, and all the football players were moving into their new dorm rooms.  My roommate, James, was there as well as the lead student athletic trainer for Trinity.  Another chapter of my life had just begun.
We started camp with athletes puking their brains out, sweat racing from our bodies, and a strong goal set in mind- "leave no doubt".  Players were conditioning their bodies and getting their farmer tans preparing for our first game against Howard Payne University.  We were bonding as a team, singing songs in the lunch room and making the freshman do their infamous "freshman skits" at the end of the two weeks. I'll be honest, I didn't enjoy the monotonous day-to-day itinerary we had for the two weeks, but I was more than willing to give everything I had for our team.
Classes were closing in, and students were piling in faster than I had realized.  Camp was ending, and I had to start preparing my mind for yet another very important goal: my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment